TOTO Too

Written by Tulis McCall

Tulis McCall is a woman with a passion for performance and presentation. She brings her extensive knowledge of acting, writing, and producing to everything she does.

November 28, 2022

8 Comments

1. Bob Davis

The power and fun—and ultimately, the convincing logic— of Toto-As-Hero in Toto Too is driven by the cumulative evidence of Tulis McCall’s singular focus on canine sagacity and assistance in The Wizard of Oz. Through McCall’s narrative, the movie’s entire plot is recapitulated using only Toto’s wise and intuitive actions or reactions, while her tracing the movie’s dialogue explicitly affirms the dog’s importance. As illustrated in McCall’s talk, Toto is needfully integral to and necessarily ubiquitous in Dorothy’s story, not just a throwaway cutesy companion for her. Knowingly and engagingly recounted, Toto Too’s journey takes us through a series of isolated meanings which, as a whole, become greater than the sum of their parts, adding significant breadth and depth to the meaning of Dorothy’s best friend. Impressively written, Toto Too is stellar oral entertainment. I probably won’t watch the film again this year, but I’ll definitely listen again to this recitation.

2. Terria Joseph

Hands down! It IS Toto’s story. Brava, Tulis. There IS no place like home!!!!!

3. Monica Anderson

4. Monica Anderson

Brilliant observations! Toto has always been my hero!! He’s always there with a bark, a wag and a lick when needed! Great tale telling Tulis!!! 👏🏻👏🏻 ❤️

5. RS

Tulis’ musings are always so insightful. This one is no exception. What a refreshing way to revisit a familiar tale.

6. Elizabeth

What a great insight on this story — making it new, Tulis!

7. Gordon Gilbert

How does that phrase go? deus de machina? Your analysis shows that was “Toto”lly the case in Wizard of Oz!

• Tulis McCall

Oh Gordon…..

You May Also Like…

Lifetime Membership: Yea or Nay – January 30, 2023

The other day I signed up for a Lifetime Membership for a Meditation App. It seemed like a no-brainer, until I heard myself think, “Wait a minute – how long would I have to live to make this lifetime membership worthwhile?” A quick calculation told me I would have to live for three more years. That sounded doable. But what in the Sam Hill am I doing thinking thoughts like THAT?

Actors Are Magicians – January 23, 2023

Actors know that a world with no stories would go wobbling off into the Universe and burn to a crisp or freeze over until it was colder than the heart of a certain Supreme Court Justice.

Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King, Jr.

In addition to being King’s birthday, this year January 15th marked the closing date for SEVEN Broadway shows. Four of those shows feature black casts: “Death of a Salesman,” “A Strange Loop,” “Topdog/Underdog,” and “Ohio State Murders.” A fifth, “The Piano Lesson,” will close in two weeks.

Musings by email?

Musings by email?

Join my mailing list to receive each week's musings and announcements for shows.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

%d bloggers like this: